SYNOVA Emerging Leader Fellowship
The Emerging Leader Fellowship is a transformational nine-month program that will give each fellow the education, tools and contacts that are necessary to be a successful leader in the NICU.
This fellowship is a joint program of Synova Associates LLC and the National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN). The objective of the Emerging Leader Fellowship is to grow and develop early-career neonatal nurses and APRNs who have been identified as having leadership potential. By equipping these future leaders with translatable and transferrable leadership skills, participants will be better equipped to succeed and flourish within their professional, personal, and volunteer environments. This fellowship is intended to assist with board certification and meet the standard for clinical professional development for those organizations pursuing Pathway to Excellence or Magnet Designation.
This program curriculum includes:
- Two in-person conferences (NICU Leadership Forum and NANN Annual Conference)
- Topic based webinars led by experts
- Self-directed coursework
- Journaling and article review
- Design and execution of a quality improvement/program development project with supported from internal and external mentors
- Opportunities to present at national conferences
All fellows will emerge with skills and knowledge on leadership styles, emotional intelligence, navigating difficult conversations, building teams, basic financial principles, using your strengths, transitioning from peer to boss, leading a quality improvement initiative – and about 50 CEs!
The tuition for the program is $1500 (scholarships are available). The tuition includes all course materials as well as registration fees for the 2019 NANN conference in Savannah, GA and the 2020 NICU Leadership Forum in Naples, FL. Also included in the tuition are pre-conference sessions at both conferences: a day exclusively for Emerging Leader Fellows at NANN and the New Leader Bootcamp at NICU Leadership Forum.
While conference travel and hotel are not covered in the program tuition, partial and full need-based scholarships are available for travel/hotel as well. The highest rated applicants will be accepted regardless of financial need.
- Complete an online application (either on Synova or NANN website – do not apply through both websites), including submission of current CV
- Fellows must commit to attend all scheduled virtual meetings, the NANN pre-conference and national meeting and the NICU Leadership Forum pre-conference and meeting.
- Identify internal mentor from within their hospital. The internal mentor must be in a current management role that is senior to the fellow and work in the NICU or NICU chain of command in the hospital. He/she will be required to complete the Mentor Agreement Form that will include a short personal recommendation.
- Submit a Leader Agreement Form from their immediate supervisor agreeing to time off for all scheduled meetings
- Fellows must be NANN members or they must agree to join NANN if selected
- Fellows agree to engage with NANN through committee, task force, chapter, or micro-volunteer roles shortly after the program graduation
- Nurse or APRN currently employed in a NICU
- Minimum 3 years nursing experience
- No more than 1 year in a NICU Manager position
- No limit to how many years in Ass’t Manager, Resource Nurse, staff nurse etc. role
- ADN required; BSN preferred
- August 15: Application deadline
- August 30: Accepted fellows notified
- September 15: Program begins
- October 9 – 12: Emerging Leader Fellowship pre-conference and NANN conference in Savannah, GA
- April 19 – 23, 2020: New Leader Bootcamp, NICU Leadership Forum and program graduation!
Step up! Have the courage and confidence to say I CAN and I WANT to be a leader by investing in MY future through the Emerging Leader Fellowship.